The musculoskeletal system is composed of the bones, muscles, and joints in the human body. They allow us to walk, run, and jump and support us with all our movements. The system also has the important job of protecting our internal organs from injury. Simply put, the musculoskeletal system is a fascinating part of the human body!
From the orthopaedic specialists at Orthopaedic Specialty Group, here are ten fun facts about the musculoskeletal system:
1. The skeletal system is made up of 206 bones.
2. There are 650 skeletal muscles in the human body.
3. Muscles make up 40% of the body’s weight.
4. The longest bone in the human body is the femur (thighbone).
5. The smallest bone in the human body is the stapes (stirrup bone) in the ear.
6. Joints allow movement at the points where two or more bones come together.
7. There are four main types of joints: ball-and-socket, hinge, pivot, and gliding.
8. Ligaments are tough bands of tissue that connect bones to other bones at joints.
9. Tendons are tough cords of tissue that connect muscles to bones.
10. The knee is the largest joint in the body and has the greatest range of motion of any joint.
The musculoskeletal system is an amazing part of the human body! We hope you enjoyed learning these fun facts about the musculoskeletal system.
For exceptional orthopaedic care, contact Orthopaedic Specialty Group!
It’s crucial to seek expert medical treatment if you struggle with problems or pain associated with your bones or joints. Give the professionals at Orthopaedic Specialty Group a call at (203) 337-2600, and let us know how we can help you! Don’t let that pain hold you back from living your life. Your health and safety are our top priority.