Women are amazing! And with all that women do for others every day, we want to remind you of the importance of taking time to care for yourself. May is National Women’s Health Month, a time to remind women of the importance of putting their health first, to live a long and happy life.
Take a look at a few ways you can take control of your health and celebrate National Women’s Health Month:
Transform Your Diet
Nutrition is a key aspect of a healthy lifestyle, and now is the time to ensure you are eating a nutritious, healthy, and balanced diet. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Eat the right foods – Your diet should include a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats, and lean meats.
- Cook more – Foods from restaurants can be loaded with extra salt and are high in calories. Cooking your own meals from home, where you know exactly what’s in your meals, can help ensure a healthy diet.
- Limit sugars and processed foods – Be sure to limit your daily intake of added sugars, saturated and trans fats, and salt. Everything in moderation!
- Avoid harmful substances – Heavy alcohol consumption can be detrimental to your health and lead to dangerous, chronic illnesses. Drinking alcohol in moderation, meaning one drink a day for women, is ideal to stay healthy..
Physical activity is another important aspect of maintaining good health. Staying active helps lower your risks of developing heart disease, which is the leading cause of death amongst women. Take a look at a few ways you can incorporate more physical activity into your daily routine:
- Join your local gym – Having a place to go, meet new people, and have all the equipment you need for a great workout makes it easier to get up and get moving.
- Work out with friends or family – Having an accountability partner can make a big difference and make exercising more fun.
- Make the most of your screen time – When watching TV, use commercial breaks or the end of episodes to do some simple exercises.
- Walk more – Yes, just walking more can make for a more healthy lifestyle, so try walking instead of driving for local errands or taking breaks throughout your day to go for a walk around the neighborhood.
Make Your Mental Health a Priority
Your mind is just as important as your body, so try to find more ways to put your mental health as a priority every day. Some ways to do so include:
- Relax and have “me-time” – Schedule time for yourself into your daily schedule where you can unwind, reflect, relax, meditate, and just refresh yourself.
- Get enough sleep – A good night’s rest makes for a more energetic, happy, and productive day.
- Enjoy your favorite activities – Set time aside regularly to enjoy your favorite hobbies or even try a new activity.
- Talk with others – Connecting and talking to loved ones or a health professional when you need it is essential.
Pay Your Doctor a Visit
Visit your doctor to ensure you are maintaining a healthy lifestyle and are getting the required checkups needed for your age and health.
Orthopaedist in Connecticut
It’s crucial to seek expert medical treatment if you are dealing with problems or pain associated with your bones or joints. Give the professionals at Orthopaedic Specialty group a call at (203) 337-2600, and let us know how we can help you! Don’t let that pain hold you back from living your life. Your health and safety are our top priority.