Days can certainly be more difficult and restrictive for those living with arthritis, so it helps to actively work toward minimizing your daily symptoms. The summer season can be especially challenging, so we want to offer some tips to help you or a loved one enjoy this summer to its fullest and stay healthy.
How The Summer Affects Arthritis
The heat and the increased humidity that occur during the summer months contribute to increased swelling and inflammation in the joints for those with arthritis. The hotter the temperatures, the more prone you are to swelling, which also means the more pain you are likely to be in.
Pressure changes in the atmosphere can also affect joint inflammation. When barometric pressure changes, as it often does from crazy weather during the summer, your arthritis may feel worse than usual.
Tips For Managing Your Arthritis In The Summer
Thankfully, there are ways to manage the increased inflammation those with arthritis experience during the summer season. Here are some tips to help:
- Hydration is critical – Drinking plenty of water every day helps promote healthy blood volume and keeps you feeling good. Incorporating more water-rich foods such as watermelon, strawberries, celery, and spinach into your diet can also help you keep your hydration up.
- Stay protected in the sun – Many arthritis medications have a side-effect of sensitivity to light. So, when out in the sun, be sure to protect yourself by wearing sunscreen, sunglasses, and hats.
- Dress comfortably – Dressing in clothing and wearing footwear that is comfortable, especially when being active or outdoors, can help minimize your pain and reduce swelling.
- Enjoy arthritis-safe summer activities – Don’t push yourself when it comes to activity in the summer, or you may regret it later. If you’re looking to be active and exercise during the summer, try swimming, hiking, golf, or bike riding to minimize strain on your joints.
- Consult with your doctor – Talking with an arthritis specialist can help ensure you are taking proper care of your joints and body during the summer. They can also recommend more tips and guidance on how you can best enjoy the summer season while staying healthy.
Orthopaedist in Bridgeport, Connecticut
It’s crucial to seek expert medical treatment if you are dealing with problems or pain associated with your bones or joints. Give the professionals at Orthopaedic Specialty group a call at (203) 337-2600, and let us know how we can help you! Don’t let that pain hold you back from living your life. Your health and safety are our top priority.