This summer season, the temperatures have been very high, and everyone is feeling it. Are you taking care of yourself?
Heatstroke, most common in the summer months, is a condition when your body is overheated, typically caused by prolonged exposure or intense physical exertion in hot temperatures. This is a serious condition, and someone suffering from heatstroke will require immediate treatment. Untreated heatstroke can damage your vital organs and leave you at risk of severe complications or even death, making it crucial that you actively protect yourself and watch out for others while in the heat.
Symptoms of Heatstroke
Knowing and identifying the signs of heatstroke will help you not only protect yourself but others too. Take a look at the signs and symptoms to look for:
- A body temperature of 104 degrees Fahrenheit or higher
- Confusion and agitation
- Slurred speech
- Skin feeling hot and dry
- Flushed skin
- Nausea and vomiting
- Throbbing headache
- Racing heart rate
- Heavy, rapid breathing
How To Prevent Heatstroke
Thankfully, heatstroke is preventable if you take proper precautions when in hot weather. Here’s what you can do to actively reduce your risk of getting heatstroke:
- Wear loose-fitting and lightweight clothing.
- Protect yourself against sunburn by wearing sunscreen and reapplying at least every two hours.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Look to see if your medications can affect your body’s ability to stay hydrated or adapt to the heat.
- Avoid strenuous activity during the hottest times of the day.
- Stay in the shade or indoors with air conditioning to cool off as often as you can.
Orthopaedist in Bridgeport, Connecticut
It’s crucial to seek expert medical treatment if you are dealing with problems or pain associated with your bones or joints. Give the professionals at Orthopaedic Specialty group a call at (203) 337-2600, and let us know how we can help you! Don’t let that pain hold you back from living your life. Your health and safety are our top priority.